Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Keeping Busy

I've been rather busy, with two tests this week and four homework due right before the two tests, I haven't had much time to relax. But, when I have relaxed this week I've been enjoying every minute. When Friday rolled around last week, it was 70 degrees (F). classes were out for the week, and I have a newly licensed motorcycle. And that's all I needed.

I started just driving, around, and settled on checking out Sumner, a small sea-side village right outside Christchurch. A beautiful little town, with lots of gardens scattered between cliffs and the sandy beaches. A highly recommended place to go for a nice afternoon in the sun walking around.

But I wasn't walking around, I was on the search for twisty, sea-side roads through rolling hills. I found a large hill with a road going right through the middle of it. Just the thing I was looking for. I was a little nervous trying out my motorcycle for the first time on major twisty climbs, after recently dismantling the rear wheel and the brake systems. Did I put that bolt back on, is it tight enough? Well mom, there's only one way to find out! Speeding up twisty roads with cliffs to my right, I started to worry a little less once the fun of motorcycling overwhelmed my fears of a motorcycle I've barely used falling apart while going around a hairpin turn.

At the top of the road, it was closed due to earthquake destruction, but luckily for me there was the Godley Head Nature Preserve trail to the left of me. This is where I had some of the greatest fun in New Zealand so far, my first real motorcycle adventure. About 2 meters wide, rising along the cliffs(no guard rails!) I shared with the sheep around me the view overlooking all of Christchurch, Sumner, Lyttleton,Taylor's Mistake, New Brighton and the rest of the Canterbury Plains.
Godley Head was absolutely beautiful, and I would highly recommend someone starting in Sumner and walking (or better biking, (or even better motorcycling!)) and heading to Taylor's mistake, a very tiny village on the beach which is supposedly a great surfing hangout. Then proceed to Godley's head, and check out the surrounding views along the coast line.


I'll hopefully update more on my visit to the botanical gardens, and hopefully finish up my spring break road trip. But after my two tests I'm off to Kaikoura to Seafest 2010, come back Sunday, Do my Presentation on the Fluid Mechanics of Carburetors (mainly Amal Carbs) and then Ellie comes later that week! And it turns out I have finals starting in 1 month. AND THEN!? Summer begins, which means a whole lot of different things, but for another post, another day
-Luke Stover

-Tell me, have I done anything of worth? -Leonardo Da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment