Thursday, September 30, 2010

Car!


Sophie stumbled across this 97' Mazda 626 Station Wagon. so we decided to check it out!

240,000km (~150,000miles), inspection is due soon but the only problems we saw failing inspection were the two rear tires. I noticed in the records there was a radiator replacement. So noticing the engine I could see some oil build-up around the heads, seems like it overheated at one time and slightly warped the heads. It's been driven almost 20,000 km with no problems, and if we keep checking on the heater gauge, oil and radiator we could get away with the problem.

Barry met up with us to check out the car downtown. He had started at 2,000 NZD, and after a week decided 1600 may sell it faster. I pointed out the head leakage, and said I'll take it for 1500. Not bad, with Sophie and I splitting the cost i came to 525 American dollars each! It's a gamble with the engine, but worst comes to worst, we lose 525 each.


It also came with a lot of stuff! a tent, sleeping bag, 2 Frisbees, cooking equipment, bedding, and air mattress and yes, that weird wooden duck. All of these things Sophie needed anyway, so it only made the purchase more reasonable.

I met up with Barry downtown, treated him to a beer at a bar downtown and sorted out all the paperwork. Pfft paperwork? I gave him 1500, I made a bill of sale (even though i didn't have to, just precautionary) walked to the local post shop, and in less than 10 minutes we had waited in line, paid 9.20 for change of ownership and i officially owned a car in New Zealand. This is not the nys dmv.

Barry and I walked to the car, Barry gave me a few tricks he's learned for working and traveling from many trips around the world (main tip: be open for any job, he worked skinning sheep when he first got here) and I jumped in the car and left.

1 comment: