Monday, July 12, 2010

Temple Basin!


What a great weekend!

I decided to tag along with the ski and snowboard club as we took a 2.5 hour drive into the mountains to Temple Basin Park. Unbeleivable views. I saw a Kea also! they known aso ne of the world's smartest birds, and only about 5000 live in the world, mainly in the alpine regions of the South Island. They are known to go into cars or houses, rummage around for food, but often find curious objects, play with them and then leave. They are green with red under there wings, and make interesting calls.




Due to the poor snow conditions a few friends and myself decided to hike around for about 3-4 hours. Fantastic views, I hope to make a short video of the clips and pictures I took while up on the mountain. The sun is terribly strong. You NEED to have sunscreen, especially this Irish-skinned lad your reading about.

On the way down, I decided to slide down the mountain, which was amazing! The second try on a more narrow pass I had a real close call to a rock at the bottom of the slope. Last second before i was able to jump over it, PHEW! I was recording at the time, and dug my camera into the ice and snow in order to steer me out of the way. I thought the camera was destroyed but suprisingly a quick dry and my Canon was back in order!

After a long tiring walk we made it back to the lodge, and celebrated for the rest of the night! With the ski club and employees of the lodge we enjoyed some dancing (with DJ, lights and equipment) drinking games, sliding down the stairs on our snowboaards, enjoying the osuthern hemispheres stars (I saw the southern cross!) and shooting stars, and slapping the goon!
(Goon is a bag or box wine which everytime you drink, you must slap it, because you have to "beat the goon before it beats you"

Anyway, great views, great new friends and some great pictures to soon follow!

8 comments:

  1. i ate this bird thinking it was a piece of fruit. it was delicious. i spent the whole day searching for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are having TOO good a time!!! Excellent post. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Dog! Keep on proving youth is not wasted on the young!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah - that bird looks like it got lost on its way from tropical climes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My, have you grown up since we last saw you in 2005. Glad you set up a blog - what beautiful scenery! By the way, you mentioned habanero sauce - do they sell green Ortega chiles (sometimes called anaheim)? If so, I can send you a very easy Chile Relleno Casserole recipe that serves 10. Are you in New Zealand for a year?

    Liz & Joe (your Reville cousins in NV)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love the recipe! you can send it to lukeydukey625@yahoo.com the hot sauce i have is kiwi fruit and habanero, very tasty. yes I am here til july of 2011

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK Luke. Now you have some blog competition. Your cousin is posting possible breaking of water. (False alarm) You better post something exciting soon, or you are going to lose in the ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh goon bags - they call them that in Australia too - Goon and Juice - yumm ; )

    ReplyDelete