Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My first couple days in Christchurch!


Well, its the morning again, and I am watching the world cup (Netherlands vs. Uruguay) while enjoying a nice cup o' tea, a breakfast sausage/egg sandwich with kiwifruit and habanero hot sauce! Surprisingly good!

So where should I begin, how about my apartment!

On the outskirts of the University of Canterbury is a small cluster of apartments called Ilam Apartments, where students from numerous universities around Christchurch can stay. I am living in a 5 bedroom apartment with two full baths, one kitchen, living room and balcony! I was lucky enough to get the room on the end with a nice view of the campus, and the setting sun! I have finally met my 4 other flatmates JJ from Korea, Shihab from... im not sure yet, Partik from India and Thomas from New Zealand! I'm going to take advantage of this fact and try to learn some new international dishes.

My room is fairly spacious for myself, in fact it may be just as big as my last apartment in New Paltz (which had in the same space a shower, bathroom, half-kitchen) for the same price!

I was itching already to find a motorcycle my second day here so i tried searching online and found out although fairly cheap its cheaper to buy a car instead! Not to mention the selection of classic cars are pretty cool! like a 1962 morris minor, 1964 mg 1100, 1970 land rover, all for around 1200-1600 US $!

After visiting the international welcome dinner, there are a lot of American students who have come here to study. All international students here are very friendly and want to try anything new. Tom, from philly has one major goal for New Zealand: Chase a herd of sheep. Interesting, but why not? So we celebrated as I bought my first alcoholic beverage! Some new zealand draft beer, which was rather good! I'm going to have to get used to beer, because liquor is terribly expensive (cheapest liquor was a 1 liter bottle of smirnoff vodka: about 30 US). But good news as New Zealand has a wide range of Beer from the island and excellent wines from Canterbury! (guess whose going on some wine tours!).

Well off to orientation for school, then off to see the city of Christchurch tonight! Will keep you posted. If theres anything youd like to know about New Zealand and Canterbury shoot! (It'll give me ideas for posting)

Here's my mailing address!

Luke Stover
H74 Room 5
Ilam Apartments
Homestead Lane
PO BOX 6362
Christchurch 8442
NEW ZEALAND






2 comments:

  1. First comment did not post so I will try again. Sounds great. You asked for suggestions .... I like photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice place! That's awesome that you could get a place so close to campus with oodles of roommates!

    ReplyDelete