Tuesday, July 6, 2010

First Post, Travel!


Welcome to the blog! It's 6:30am on July 6th, 2010 in Christchurch, New Zealand! I believe it is the afternoon of the 5th in New York. 95 degrees? Today is a high of 45 degrees! Well, I'll start writing about my travels getting here, before I forget.




Well, After bidding a farewell to my parents, It started to hit me that I was going away for a year. My parents understood it, but i was still like, big deal, see you in...6 months? No it'll be fine i'll just drive...nevermind. Ironically, My last meal in the states was a hamburger. When I boarded Air New Zealand in Los Angeles International I was offered wine with my dinner! I quickly shook my head because at the time I forgot I'm legal to drink in New Zealand! The 13 hour flight went by suprisingly fast, due to the personal TV which we could pick form 80 movies, 300 TV shows, 300 albums, audiobooks etc. I decided to check out Air New Zealand's music collection. Suprisingly good! I'm looking forward to New Zealand's overall music taste. So as I'm enjoying my breakfast meal with tea (They love tea here! Thank you!) I was blasting AC/DC's Back to Black album. At the same hour were flying over New Zealand the sun starts to rise to give us: Rainy, Cloudy New Zealand. O well. But there was a rainbow to greet us!

I finally arrived to my apartment around 2:00pm, I have been traveling for over 30 hours with about 6 half hour naps scattered. (not to mention I got 3 hours of sleep from my going away party). I am tired! But I dont have sheets for sleeping or more importantly, a towel for taking a shower! So I try to do a couple errands picking up linens, towels, making a 3 minute $16.00 phone call andddd EATING SUSHI! love it! (although i didnt have ginger with my meal and the soy sauce was sweet?)

So here are the few things that I had trouble finding hard to get used during my first few hours in Christchurch with very little sleep:

-The otherside of the road: I saw a dog in the left side of the car and thought he was driving.
-By=Buy
-Adding U's to words like "Colour"
-The accents here are thicker than I imagined
-I have an accent to these people!
-The money has a plastic region which you can see right through
-The road signs, Like a orange triangle with a black exclamation point in the middle, for....?
-The electrical outlets someone took our plug, and with a plier bent the prongs 45 degrees.


Well, thats it for now. next up, setting up my new apartment and trying to figure out this city

2 comments:

  1. Great first post, Luke! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete