Sunday, September 19, 2010

Part 5: Wanaka and Haast Pass

We continued our travels north, towards the two Lakes Wanaka and Hawea. Between these two roads leads you through Haast Pass, the southernmost pass in the southern island. Before we headed to the west coast we stopped in the small, picturesque town of Wanaka, right on the lake. I found this town and its surroundings to be beautiful, quiet, and relaxing. It may not have as many activities to do as Queenstown, but its a very relaxing place to visit and tramp around.


We even decided to rent some kayaks to take in all the scenery









Haast Pass was absolutely stunning, with waterfalls and temperate rainforests


































The satellite photo shows the path we took starting at Queenstown(A) to Wanaka(B) and ending up at Haast(C) for a spectacular sunset.
















So how about some less talking and some more photos on the road!


Overlooking Lake Wakatipu in Queenstown


Crystal clear glacial water running down the mountains allowed you to see trout a few meters underwater. Now I know where to fish!
Haast Pass


The drive must have gotten to me, as shown
by the only two photos recorded of me
driving; with eyes spacing out into
the distance, or playing with oranges












I also got a bit of a reality check
when i saw this sign from afar:



Notice I'm starting to talk less and post more photos? If there's anything you'd like me to expand on any of my travels let me know, as I am getting writer's block


And here's a taste for next week's blog, THE WEST COAST

2 comments:

  1. My favorite photo is the path with the one human figure in red in the distance. The preview picture is beautiful, too. what happened to the spectacular sunset picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess after posting so many photos
    I'd save the sunset photos for the next part, but you can get a taste from the last photo I posted

    ReplyDelete